Linked Open Data in Agriculture
MACS-G20 Workshop in Berlin, September 27th and 28th, 2017
Linked Open Data (LOD) combines the technology of globally linked data with the philosophy of free access to information. In the agricultural sector, this approach is being tested in support of global food security, site-adapted agriculture and international research collaboration. This workshop aims at promoting the application of Linked Open Data in agriculture by addressing obstacles to implementation and by strengthening networks among existing initiatives.
The event takes place during the German G20 presidency 2017 and is linked to activities of the G20 Meeting of Agricultural Chief Scientists (MACS) on information and communication technology (ICT), which China has initiated during its G20 presidency in 2016.
- Survey the current state of Linked Open Data
- Assess the supply and demand for data
- Exchange failure and success stories
- Compare applications and uses (both potential and real)
- Define further actions (both political and technical)
The two-day professional workshop will be targeted at an international audience with impulse lectures by experts and discussion sessions. Both days include a two-track programme with parallel sessions. One track is about policy implementation, focussing on the country and organization level, e.g. data ownership and data rights, investment in information, while the other track covers cutting edge technology such as new applications and services.
- Research data sharing
- Availability and security
- Data models: approaches and requirements
- Open geodata
- Visualization, navigation and search
- Vocabularies, classifications and thesauri
- Earth observation and remote sensing
- Applications in livestock farming
- Supply chain and traceability
- Monitoring and Documentation
The initiators of this workshop are the German Federal Ministry for Food and Agriculture (BMEL), the Global Open Data for Agriculture and Nutrition Initiative (GODAN) and the Association for Technology and Structures in Agriculture (KTBL). The Federal Office of Agriculture and Food (BLE) is responsible for the event Management.
Association for Technology and Structures in Agriculture (KTBL)
Kuratorium für Technik und Bauwesen in der Landwirtschaft e. V.
Phone: +49 6151 7001 230
Global Open Data for Agriculture and Nutrition Initiative (GODAN)
Dr. Johannes Keizer
Phone: +39 366 5010 443
© www.fotolia.com | sdecoret
Download: Announcement and Call for Participation
Linked Open Data in Agriculture (PDF, 2 MB)
Download: Programme (PDF, 221 kB)